Having a talent for drawing I decided to begin designing my own book covers for Devil’s Charming Melody. The problem I encountered was that I was unsure how I wanted to approach the design elements.
Amazon has a great program to help you choose and design from some stock images they have but nothing seemed to suit what I happened to be looking for.
This is a tragic romance novel, my longest to date and I wanted something that reflected more a sophisticated gore aspect with it being off putting.
So I googled images related to spilled wine and blood splattered roses. I quickly formed an inspiration and sat down to sketch a few themes out, bouncing them off of my husband before we chose the image you see on the cover.
From there I loaded them in to my computer and tinkered around with filters and light adjustments saving the ones that I would latter choose from.
I sat down with my husband, bless his patient soul, and we would load image after image, trying them out to get the exact right one then pair it with perfect, in our opinion at least, font and format.
We did the same process with Dragon’s Daughter, sketching out several ideas and then going with one and coloring it in before running it through filters and fonts, finding the just right theme to express how I want potential readers to have a first impression.
The Images scattered around here are a few of the pieces we got to choose from.
Hope you enjoy them as much as we did.